Tuesday, November 1, 2016

My White Privelege Day One

I promise, I'm not ignoring this blog, I've just been hopping all over my Facebook page!  Some fellow adoptive mamas and I are doing a Facebook challenge where we post the things we are learning about in our study of white privilege.  It turns out that posting every day, and following up on commets pretty much sucked every minute up!  So, I'm killing two birds with one stone and retro actively posting them here too!

Here's day one!

I'm going to start with a definition, just to keep myself straight. I found this one on the internet: "White privilege is a term for societal privileges that benefit people identified as white in Western countries, beyond what is commonly experienced by non-white people under the same social, political, or economic circumstances." 

Imagine a person walking down the street. Just that.
Now what does that person look like when you imagine it? Think about that for a second.
Most white people and the majority of people in general bring to mind an image of a white man or boy walking down the street. When our education system, justice system, media coverage, advertising, children's books, etc, etc. hold white males to the highest esteem, it places the white male as the standard. The go to image. If you read a novel and then have to shift your thinking once you read the description of a character from white to a different race. That's starting with the standard. The fact that I can see my own image reflected back at me everywhere I look is my white privilege. #mywhiteprivilege

No comments: