Tuesday, December 30, 2008

2nd Thessalonians 3:10

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat." 2 Thessalonians 3:10

I should tattoo this on the behinds of each of my children when they reach the age of three.
You see, at our house, on your 3rd birthday, along with your toys, you receive your VERY OWN, PERSONAL LAUNDRY BASKET! And along with this basket, your first "official" chore. I say official because my little ones already fetch and carry, pretty much from birth. So your first chore is dirty laundry delivery. And what, do you ask, does that have to do with 2nd Thess? Ahh! If you do not do your chores, you get no breakfast. Cruel? Maybe a bit, but I think of it as an incentive, not a punishment. And you've seen my kids. Do they look hungry to you?

This follows through to my school aged kids too. If your school work isn't done, don't ask for lunch. There are some things we do in the afternoons, but they tend to be the things we all WANT to do, so there is no need of a rule for them, although there is always snack time!

So all this to preface this story. My son has not eaten yet today. It is 4:00. When he asked for a snack, I asked if his chore was done yet, and he wandered off. An hour later, lunch. I asked "Are you done yet?" His response: "What are we having?" Apparently mine was not a good enough answer, because it's 4:00 now, and the basket sits, full of clothes, at the end of the hall. I am planning an elegant, nutritious and tempting dinner in his name. Mac & cheese. Who doesn't like to eat food with their own name in it? If that's not enough, DESSERT!

I tell ya, this biblical parenting is hard!

No comments: