Wednesday, November 9, 2016

My White Privilege Day Ten

 I promise, I'm not ignoring this blog, I've just been hopping all over my Facebook page!  Some fellow adoptive mamas and I are doing a Facebook challenge where we post the things we are learning about in our study of white privilege.  It turns out that posting every day, and following up on comments pretty much sucked every minute up!  So, I'm killing two birds with one stone and retro actively posting them here too!

I realized that my *surprise* over the racism I've seen during and after this election IS privilege. My Black friends, my Muslim friends, Latino friends, my mentors in adoption groups, white parents who have had children of color for far longer than I have - none of them are surprised. They have been dealing with this for their entire lives. They have survived worse. I was (am?) new and clueless. The fact that I am feeling any kind of surprise today is #MyWhitePrivilege.

No comments: