Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Corn Dogs Are Ready-It Must Be Thanksgiving!

Yes, you read that right, I said corn dogs!  12 years ago, my husband and I packed up our just-turned two year old and moved hundreds of miles from family and friends.  Our first holiday season away from home, we set about making our own family traditions, and came up against a roadblock.  The retail life.  As the low guy on the totem pole, Mike had to work on Thanksgiving day, so there was no traveling, and no visitors.  So I packed up our little one, and we met him at the one place that was both open and we could afford.  The Wal-Mart snack bar, where we ate our lunch of corn dogs and tater tots, and we were thankful.  As long as we were together, nothing else mattered.
The next year we met again at the snack bar for lunch, and I teased that it was our new family tradition.  The following year, although Mike was home with us, I served corn dogs for lunch, just to be funny.  We've been having corn dogs for lunch on Thanksgiving ever since, and if I tried not to, my kids would be horrified.  Our friends know of this quirky tradition, and they like to tease us about it, but we have to have them.  It's tradition!

No comments: