Thursday, January 28, 2010

Muffin Tin Monsters!

This unit was one of Mac's favorite units yet.  He liked it so much we stretched it into 2 weeks!  Our first muffin tin was monster faces.  We were supposed to use English muffins, but we were out, so hamburger buns worked just fine!  Spread with peanut butter and add lots of toppings to make monster faces.
The next week we made monster toast.  We toasted some bread and painted it with melted butter with a few drops of food coloring to make it colorful.  The kids really liked this activity and it took us an hour and a half to finish breakfast.  It was a good thing we weren't in a hurry that day!
This was an activity our O.T. recommended for Buddy many years ago, and my kids love to do it.  We call it sorting monster eggs (or aliens, whatever works!).  We have an extensive collection of pinching tools from Southpaw Enterprises for strengthening little fingers.  Mac got a little help from Princess, as sorting colors is still tricky for my color blind boy!  And yes, it has now been confirmed by the eye doctor, so Mac is officially color blind.
I got lots of games and activities from
Tot Books,
Sparkle Box, and
Making Learning Fun ,
so check them out for fun ideas.

11 comments:

The Reader said...

What a cool idea! All of them!!! I love it!

Kari said...

Love all of your muffin tin ideas.. I'll have to look into the pinching tools... have a couple of little boys that could probably benefit from it!

Blessings to you! Kari

Bethany said...

You make me wish I had kids to do the muffin tins with! I especially love the idea of colored butter for toast. SO FUN!

MollyinMinn said...

These are FABULOUS! I love this! Thanks.

Unknown said...

Both ideas are just FAB!

Have you read him Jan Pienkowski's
"Little Monsters"?

http://www.janpienkowski.com/books/pop-up/littlemonsters/littlemonsters.htm

He would love the pictures!

klie0500 said...

That is some cool muffin tin meals. My daughter would love both of those.

LeAnn said...

I love it! I've painted with colored milk before but not butter. So much fun. I can see why breakfast lasted so long!

Unknown said...

Really fun tins! I love your son's creations.

Lisa @ Our Country Road said...

Very cute! I love the monster faces. I know we will be trying those here sometime. Thank you!

w said...

i really like your colored buttered toast idea! i think my girls would get a kick out of that!

Lula Lola said...

I love the sorting and the colored butter! We're mixing colors a lot right now and that will be great!